At the heart of our Inn is a commitment to sustainability. Tree Frog Night is the first Eco-Inn in Bellingham. We attended to green, ecological principles while building and finishing our Inn, and we continue to be green and eco-friendly in operating our Inn. Here are some examples that describe this commitment:
- In siting the Inn, we chose a location that would minimize impact on our beautiful forest, preserving all of our large trees.
- We used sustainable and green-certified building products whenever possible.
- We have a rainbarrel system for capturing and reusing roof runoff water.
- We used earth plaster pigmented lime and clayâ€”abundant, natural, beautiful materialsâ€”as an alternative to paint for the suite walls.
- We compost our food waste to be reused as soil.
- Our new spa hot tub was built to the most stringent energy and water conservation standards, recycling pipe heat to be reused. We use ozone and non-chemical treatments, which minimize or eliminate the need to use typical spa chemicals that can be hard on skin and the environment.
- We used non-toxic and low or no VOC construction products and finishes wherever possible.
- We used natural and sustainable products, such as wool for carpeting and blankets, tile for bath and flooring, paperstone for desks and end tables, hardwood for decking, cotton and down for most of the bedding, bamboo and marmoleum flooring, and cotton bath linens.
- We employed local contractors and artisans to create the Inn.
- We serve local, organic and sometimes homegrown food for breakfast, wherever possible.
- We use nontoxic and natural cleaning products, including organic shampoos and handmade soaps.
- The suites include dual flush toilets.
- Some rooms have radiant heat.
We installed energy saving appliances, and have some LED lighting. We buy 100% Green Electricity from Arcadia Power, the first nationwide clean energy utility..
- The cottage has well insulated windows, ceilings, walls and floors, using ecological materials.
- Solid woods and plywoods were used for cabinetry, trim, closets, and soffits.
- The cottage has Hardiplank siding.
- We provide easy access for low-impact use and appreciation of natural environments, including providing home to abundant wildlife right on our own property.
We invite you to stay with us and enjoy the beauty of our lovingly created Inn in its majestic natural surroundings.